Waltham is a village and civil parish in North East Lincolnshire, England. It is 5 miles (8.0 km) south-west of Grimsby and is close to the villages of Scartho, Brigsley, Barnoldby-le-Beck, and Bradley. A few miles to the north-east there is a similarly named village, New Waltham.
There was a substantial Saxon settlement on the site of the first village although artifacts show earlier Roman occupation. The Waltham name is of Saxon origin, Walt referring to woodland or an area of high forest and Ham to either an estate or a village. It is possible that Saxons changed the name from the Old English ‘Wealdhant’ which had the same meaning; the first part Ald, prefixed by We, meant “settlement”, and Hant a “wooded estate”.
Waltham’s landmarks include Waltham Windmill, which is used as the symbol for the village’s Infant and Junior schools. The windmill was originally built in 1666, but was blown down several times. It was last re-built in 1873. The village has two public houses, The Kings Head and the Tilted Barrel, and the Waltham Tea Gardens. A branch of the Royal British Legion is also based in Waltham.
There is a cenotaph, where a remembrance service is held on Remembrance Sunday.
Nearby is the former World War II bomber airfield RAF Grimsby, which was originally Grimsby Municipal Airport. After the start of WWII the airport was re-constructed by the Air Ministry and became home to 142 Squadron, and later to 100 and 550 Squadron, before closing in 1945. A museum at the Waltham Windmill houses a section dedicated to RAF Grimsby
There was once a Waltham Railway Station on a now closed line between Grimsby and Louth.
(information from Wikipedia)